Today is my last full day in the Moroccan capital. I've been busy with last minute shopping and packing and various other chores.
Yesterday, I bought a new (used) camera from a very interesting back-alley salesman. I have the sinking sensation that it was stolen from tourists, as mine was stolen from me. There were still pictures of a group of European-looking friends left on the camera. Perhaps, in some karmic twist of fate, those people in the pictures will end up with my camera and be able to see the few pictures that I took of Fez on the day of the theft.
In other news, I got another haircut. I don't think my hair has been this short since I was 5 years old. In other words, its a buzz-cut.
The Moroccan people are getting very excited. Next Saturday is a religious holiday that the volunteers have come to call "sheep slaughter day." Every family gets their own sheep and in the case of my host family, the slaughter takes place on the roof. I liken it to Christmas because during that time of year, impromptu Christmas tree stores pop up around the city. Similarly, small sheep stands can be found every corner in Rabat. You can even go to the big supermarkets and buy wholesale sheep. I wish I could stay for the holiday. Sort of.
As much as I like Morocco, I am ready to leave. I am leaving tomorrow morning. My plan is to take the train to Tangier. From there, I am going to take the ferry across the Straight of Gibraltar and into Spain. From there, I am going to meet up with another one of the volunteers from Morocco and her friend in Madrid. From there, we will head towards Barcelona. The goal is to be settled into a nice place in Barcelona just in time for a nice European Thanksgiving dinner.
Also, Barcelona is playing Real Madrid in Barcelona next Saturday and I am very happy about that. Spain's two biggest soccer clubs are also the most popular teams in Morocco.
I am very excited for my upcoming trek through Europe. Please please let me know if you have any suggestions, questions or concerns.
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bon voyage, Henry. We're thinking of you with love and admiration and great pride.
ReplyDeleteHey Henry, I'm glad your trip is going so well. You must feel so accomplished with the program in Morocco. Have fun in Europe dude. I can't wait for you to come home and I can hear all the stories that you can't put on your blog ;)
ReplyDelete