Thursday, September 10, 2009

We are the World

It rained for the first time since I've been here today. On the way home from work in the taxi I saw numerous cars and trucks sliding down the smallest of slopes. It seemed as if it hadn't rained for years. The streets were oddly empty.

Today, in school, I got to demonstrate my artistic abilities as I taught the youngsters animals. I drew a cat/owl type thing, a polar bear/gremlin type thing, a camel and a Katie dog.
However, because the volunteer in charge of the advanced English class wasn't here today, the director of the school and I had to improvise. The result of that was me writing all of the lyrics to 'We are the World' on the board. The jovial director, Hasan, had the video on the school's computer and we watched the 7 minute clip twice.
Bruce Springsteen's expression as he sings with Stevie Wonder is priceless.

The family is great. The only English word they know is 'EAT!!!!!'

Simon, my French roomate is doing well. We get along great even though he is a chain-smoking, divorced, 27 year-old man. We have good times.

Send news from Baltimore.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Henry,

    Did the kids sing along?
    got my splint off. a real foot inside!
    Bunny came down to visit on the train with a bag of peaches. Told Katie she was a part of her lesson. She jumped on my computer while i was on the phone and changed the screen from vertical to horizontal.
    good times here, too.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. news from baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obama gave a speech on healthcare, that was huge. School sucks. Josh and ariella (and other SMCM'ers) are all loving school

    we miss you theirry henry

    post pictures of the city why dont you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Henry, Can you change the black background on your blog? Not the easiest format to read at my age. Be Good, Anatol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rained here today, too, but no cars sliding down slopes. Obama's speech rocked. Republican congressman from SC shouted "you lie" during it. His opponent in the congressional race raised $400,000 in 12 hours. Church goes back to 11 on Sunday. Tons of kids. New associate pastor starts next week. Anna will be excited to hear of "We Are the World" since she is obsessed with Michael Jackson and that song in particular. We even have a choreographed lip sync version for the family. I get to sing Willie's part. (This will be the last time you ask for news from Baltimore).

    Hope your chain smoking roommate smokes outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more week until Ramadan is over, yes? How is the food that you are eating when you are able to eat? I love food; tell me everything about it.
    The TeaBaggers marched in D.C. against Obama's healthcare plan today, and the estimates are about 30,000 showed up. Chris says that there were that many people protesting Bush's inauguration, so f-ing what?
    I will have to watch the "We Are the World" video again now that you mentioned Springsteen's expression.
    This year's TOK class is a little overwhelming - btw, don't listen to Max - school is awesome (:D The TOK class has 28 students this year, which is four less than you guys were, but gawd, they love to talk talk talk. I made a packet about the perception stuff and included the article "The Itch" - remember that one? Oh, and you showed Joshua your TOK journal - thanks for showing him what NOT to do (hahaha).
    Somehow I lucked out and got assigned all the honors sophomores, so I am in la-la land for the time being.
    Ran my 20 miler of the season last week, busted my hump doing 15 miles at Loch Raven Reservoir this morning, running up the dam hill twice; I'm really hurting now. I'm running the Ragnar Relay from Cumberland to D.C. on Sept 25th, and my marathon is on Oct 11th in Chicago. I'm very close to taking a break from running after November.
    Lena put in a bid on a house in Butchers' Hill - fingers crossed for her.
    That's about it - I know, this is alot. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete