Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First day of school!

I had my first day of school today. I have a 15 minute taxi ride to Sale, Rabat's sister city, and they will only leave when the sedan has 7 passengers. Its hot and gross. Also, in order to get to work we drive by the most horrendous slums that I have ever seen. The taxi will only take one so far so after I get out, I have to walk another 15 minutes down a median strip. Passing by me on either side are horses pulling carts filled with people but no driver. I NEED to bring my camera. The school, TOP MARK CENTRE, sits on top of a bank. There is a very enthusiastic director of the school in addition to another volunteer, a German lady named Violet. We decided to commute together because its terrible to go it alone.
The kids are super enthusiastic. I will be teaching a beginner English class until Violet leaves in two weeks and then I will take over her advanced class.
We are already taking a field trip to the archaeology museum.
I have to go now because all of the Projects Abroad volunteers rendez-vous in 10 minutes at the Medina gates.
I remain optimistic.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great experience. Good luck with the teaching. Don't get frustrated it will be fun. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea man just like JD said, it sounds good. Just be safe and think of this as an opportunity to learn from everyone else as much as you'll be teaching them. Once in a lifetime chance to do things... and we don't want any regrets, so you know, go hard. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. How has the food been? Pops tells me that you've been eating fish right off the bone and stuff like that. Also, if one of those horses offers you a ride, just say no.

    ReplyDelete