With the arrival of two new volunteers into our house, a new war has begun. These two new chaps are from England and, naturally, Simon has started to speak out against them. Simon's favorite insult in regard to Englishmen is, "F--- ze roast beeuf!" Ronan and Lyall remain cool as they respond with something witty about the French being frogs.
Ronan is a very nice, guy and, like me, is taking a gap year before college. However, he is going to Oxford. He arrived on Sunday and his bag is still in Casablanca. Actually, I think he's just gone to get it.
Lyall is a 33 year-old football (soccer) coach. Its been his hobby for the past 15 years. He just quit his job and decided to pursue teaching and coaching.
In other news, Ramadan is officially over. That means things in the Medina are going to settle down significantly. This is a very sad prospect. Even though I have come to recognize the faces and wares of various vendors, you never know what exciting new things you are going to see. For example, two days ago, I saw a man walking up to people attempting to sell, among other things, socks, a watch, a flashlight, a power strip and an electric razor. I must comment on the high quality of all the fake sunglasses, gold watches and shoes that I have seen. They are all quite convincing.
However, one thing that I will not be sad to see go are all of the beggars. It is as if each one tries to one-up each other with their maladies. The one that trumps all, even the singing albino, twin, gypsy girls, is the woman with Elephantitis in her leg. She presents it proudly as she sits in her wheelchair, for all to see. I cannot even think of anything to compare it to.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a roast beef, perhaps?
ReplyDeleteJust don't try to keep up with Les Anglais when they go to the pub...
ReplyDeleteOn another topic, how about losing the black background, very hard to read...